Working with an international artist to help create a large interactive artwork.
This contract is in Cardiff:
Migrations, in partnership with RSPB Cymru and City of Cardiff Council is seeking an artist to work alongside an international artist installing an outdoor artwork in Bute Park, Cardiff over twelve days in July 2015.
This position is designed as a paid professional development opportunity for an artist based in Wales and interested in large-scale outdoor interactive artworks.
Migrations is partnering with RSPB Cymru and City of Cardiff Council to create Tape, an interactive installation by Croatian artist collective, Numen / For Use.
The giant artwork will be made entirely of sticky tape stretched between tree trunks in Bute Park, Cardiff. Like a giant spider’s web or impossible cocoon, Tape is a network of people-sized tunnels hanging in the air.
The build will take place over twelve consecutive days and be led by the international artist responsible for the design of Tape.
Your role will be to physically create Tape alongside Numen artist Sven Jonke and a volunteer team from RSPB Cymru’s ‘Giving Nature a Home in Cardiff’ project. You will ensure the structure is built according to plan and within the given timescale.
It is hoped that your close engagement with the artist and his work will assist in the development of your own artistic practice.
The artwork will be available as a free public experience during the whole of August and we hope many thousands will enjoy it.
- have an interest in contemporary art
- have good team-working and interpersonal skills
- have a positive and enthusiastic attitude
- have the ability to work independently, and meet deadlines with accuracy
- be comfortable working outdoors and off the ground at low heights
- be comfortable with highly physical work requiring strength and stamina
- be responsible and accountable taking seriously any risks to themselves or others
- be a confident communicator, happy to engage with the public